Housed in a building built in 1719 for a Hugenot silk merchant as a family home, the building was then used as an industrial school and a workshop before it was converted to a synagogue in 1869. It witnessed the changes in East London as one immigrant group moved out to give way to another. The building now houses the Museum of Immigration and Diversity and has its own mystery on the third floor room from where a man called David Rodinsky (read Rodinsky’s Room by Rachel Lichtenstein) apparently disappeared. Due to the building’s fragile state the museum is open only a few times a year, so do check opening hours.
Museum of Immigration and Diversity
19 Princelet Street